Tuesday, September 7, 2010

sharing 10 ways of making your favorite foods healthier

Does anyone else hate trying to be healthy, but knowing it's best? Does anyone else out there prefer a good cookie to an apple? If so, then you may be interested in this post:

Here are my 10 ways of making your favorite foods healthier:

1. If you love cake, like I do, then one way to make it healthier is to use fruit preserves as filling instead of icing. I like using sugar-free personally, and it keeps the center of the cake very moist, which is always great.

2. To make the cake even healthier, use orange zest, or top it with sliced fruit instead of chocolate. Or simply use powdered sugar and sliced fruit for a beautiful look and a great taste!


3. For more baking tips, try using applesauce or olive oil instead of vegetable oil. It's healthier, and it makes the flavor richer (I would use applesauce for yellow or spice cakes, and EVOO for chocolate cakes). The outcome is fantastic!



4. Instead of making muffins that are full or chocolate and cream, try using nutella or real fruits like sliced strawberries, lemon zest, or apple. I try to switch things up in my recipes, and cut out the chocolate and add in fruit. It's not quite the same, but they still taste great.


5. In staying with my cooking/baking theme, try using more garlic in recipes, especially pasta. Garlic has many health benefits, so it's great to add to meals. We like to add garlic to our Italian dishes, and also to our seafood. Salmon with garlic oil is a tasty combination.


6. When making pasta, try switching to whole wheat, or just wheat pasta. It's a great alternative, and has a great robust flavor.


7. If you like seafood, then try eating more fish with healthy oils like salmon and tuna. These are "fatty" fish, but it's good fat. It sounds gross, but these are the tastiest and healthiest foods from the sea, full of omega-3 fatty acids.

8. Switch from ice berg lettuce to romaine or spinach lettuce. The darker the lettuce the more health benefits it has. If your kids won't eat salads, try to top it with fruits like strawberries, mandarin oranges, apples, nuts, raisens or craisens. With more to look at, they may consider trying it!


9. Use blueberries. Blueberries are one of the superfoods in today's society. Packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids, these are also high in potassium and vitamin C. I've heard they can help lower chances for heart disease, which I think is great! Try adding them into muffins or pancakes, or make a blueberry smoothie for breakfast!


10. Add some dark chocolate to your diet! New research has shown that dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and can lower blood pressure, so I say bring on the chocolate :)


I think the last tip is my favorite, as it gives me permission to continue eating chocolate, in moderation of course. I think these are som great ways to make unhealthy foods a bit healthier, or to eat healthier in general. I hope you enjoyed them.

I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and WeightWatchers SmartOnes blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”


No comments:

Post a Comment